Sunday, January 31

time well spent

So after an angst-ridden jobless-driven post, I am happy to say I am employed! Which means less time for cooking in the interim between moving to my new locale (New York!).  Previously, with quite a bit of time on my hands, I made these delicious pici or pinci which is a type of eggless tuscan pasta.

 
Simply put, they are hand-rolled pasta made from just flour (all purpose will do), a few Tablespoons of oil, and water, oh and a pinch of salt.  The recipe is from a cookbook I bought at an Italian/English bookstore in Florence.  After sifting the salt and flour, add the oil and water to a well in the center of the flour mixture.  Combine with a fork until a dough ball forms, knead, cut in half, roll one half until almost flat like a pie crust.  Then strips are cut and rolled between your hands, or between a hand and a cutting board.  These strands should be smaller in diameter than a pencil.

 I watched carefully while they cooked (bring pot to boil, add pasta, bring back to boil, wait until they float).  They were DELICIOUS and a great vehicle for sauce!!!

So, probably not more of that hand-rolling for a few weeks until I am settled, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this handmade recipe was to execute. I am excited to pursue more handmade pastas!

No comments:

Post a Comment